You’ve Got Mold. How Long Will It Take to Remove?
Maybe it started as some black spots on the wall after a particularly heavy rain. Maybe there was an alarming, musty smell. Maybe a building inspector noticed it on an annual walkthrough. Regardless of how the mold was discovered in your Overland Park, KS commercial building, it needs to be remediated, and the sooner the better. How long should you expect mold removal to take?
Mold is everywhere in our world, and no building can be completely mold free — mold spores can blow in through doors or be carried in on shoes. Most spores remain isolated or are removed by filtration systems, but if there is unchecked dampness in a building, mold types, including black mold, may take hold and begin to colonize. The longer it takes to notice, the more extensive the mold growth may be and the longer it will take to remediate. In general, mold removal takes between three and seven days, depending on how extensive the contamination is.
Getting Rid of Mold, Step by Step
If the mold contamination is extensive, the following steps may be necessary:
- Installation of mold containment equipment, including negative air chambers, physical barriers and negative air pressure systems
- Installation of air filtration equipment to ensure that mold is not recirculated into the building
- Application of antifungal and antimicrobial treatments
- Removal of contaminated materials, including carpet and drywall
- Cleaning of furniture and other items affected by mold
- Replacement and repair of building materials removed during the above processes.
Remaining Vigilant About Moisture and Mold
No matter how long it takes, mold removal and remediation isn’t something you want to have to do twice. Give the professionals time to do it right the first time, and when they have gone, remain vigilant. Keep porous surfaces as clean and dry as possible and watch carefully for any signs of unchecked moisture or new mold colonies.
For more information, please visit us athttp://www.SERVPROleawoodoverlandpark.com/.