If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (913) 381-6550

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Home Fire Prevention: Are You Prepared?

5/24/2021 (Permalink)

Young Man Using Red Fire Extinguisher To Stop Fire Coming From Oven In Kitchen Kitchen fire in Leawood, KS.
No one wants to think about a fire in their home, but fire preparedness is an essential element home safety. Fire services respond to nearly 400 thousand home fires each year. This discussion about common fire causes may help you augment your household’s fire-readiness plan.

Kitchen Hazards

Building codes require a smoke alarm near the kitchen because nearly half of fires at home are cooking-related. Some common sources of kitchen fires include:

  • Gas stove flames can ignite built-up oils or grease on pots and pans.
  • An unlit gas burner accidentally left on can cause dangerous gas build-up in your kitchen.
  • Greasy or dry food that is near a hot broiler coil can spark an oven fire.
  • Small kitchen appliances, such as toasters, can ignite dry crumbs that contact the heating element.

Kitchen fires can cause significant damage and may require professional fire restoration. It is recommended to keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen.

Human Carelessness
Fires caused by recreational activities, such as barbecuing or smoking, cause thousands of home fires yearly. It’s important to barbecue outside at a safe distance from structures. Following manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning and lighting your grill is essential. Smoking in the bedroom is a common cause of home fires. It is recommended that you not smoke while reclining or while using alcohol. Human error is another reason to keep a fire extinguisher in risk-prone areas.

Heating Appliances
Winter temperatures can make it tempting to heat your bedroom with a space heater before going to bed. An unattended small heater can spark a home fire; it may become overheated or tip over and ignite nearby drapes, carpet or clothing. If you turn a small heater on, it’s recommended you stay in the room throughout its operation.
Fires start because a flame or heating element comes in contact with some kind of fuel. This may be gas, textiles, grease, or oil. It’s important to carefully monitor anything with a heating element in your home. A wisely-located fire extinguisher can save your Leawood, KS, home from extensive damage. Common-sense fire preparedness can mean the difference between a relaxing evening and a devastating fire.

Other News

View Recent Posts