Reduce the Risk of Cigarette Fire in Your Home
There are many reasons a house in Leawood, KS can catch fire and it can be a devastating experience. Lightening strikes, electrical malfunctions or sparks from a nearby chimney are unexpected and traumatic. However there are also many types of fires can be prevented. A cigarette fire is one of those. If you or someone in your home enjoy smoking, it is vital to take the necessary precautions to prevent the outbreak of a blaze.
Tips for Safer Smoking
- Make sure to keep sturdy ashtrays in several places in the home, always on a solid surface, never the arm of a chair or the bed. Better yet, smoke outdoors.
- Never leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe unattended. It only takes seconds for a fire to break out. This is especially important if there are pets or children in the home.
- Make sure any used matches or butts are completely extinguished before throwing away. Take them out to a sand-filled pot outdoors, not in the trashcan.
- Do not smoke when sleepy or in bed; a cigarette fire can easily happen when you fall asleep
- Never light a cigarette or smoke in the presence of oxygen, as it is highly combustible
Cigarette and ashtray fire is the leading cause of home fire deaths each year. The majority of these fires begin in a chair, a bed or a trashcan, which can ignite quickly, and often when the smoker has fallen asleep or become distracted. Again, smoking outdoors is preferable, both for fire prevention and for more breathable air inside the home.
As the home of a smoker can be at a higher risk of fire, prepare your family in advance to be safer. Discuss evacuation plans and practice escape routes. Decide on a local fire restoration service in Leawood, KS to help with fire cleanup and have their number at hand. Taking the necessary precautions against cigarette fire can help you feel more at ease.