One Misstep in Your Vacation Planning May Result in Costly Damage
When you plan a vacation, you stress over every little detail. You plan your flights so that you have enough time between connections to account for delays and terminal transfers. You pack one or two cold weather outfits even though you're going to the tropics, just in case. You fill your toiletries bag with vials of medicine, even though neither you nor any of your family members get sick very often. You're more than ready for a week out of the cold, or are you? If you haven't thought about the possibility of a broken pipe and preventing the need for a water pipe repair, you are not prepared.
7 Steps To Preventing Costly Damage
Frozen pipes often lead to extensive and costly water damage throughout the whole home. If an exterior pipe freezes, it can cause a backup in all your pipes. As the pressure builds up, it will look for a way to escape. Typically, escape involves finding weak spots in your pipes and bursting them. You can prevent this who process from happening by doing the following:
- Inspect all your pipes and water appliances for leaks, cracks or fissures. If you discover a weak spot, perform a water pipe repair with caulk or plumbers' tape.
- Check all the hoses on your washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator, and other appliances. Unkink any kinks.
- Clear your gutters of debris.
- Examine your sump pump to ensure that it is in good working order. If you have the means, invest in a backup just in case your basement does become flooded while you're gone.
- Insulate exposed pipes and shut off the water supply to pipes that lead outdoors and that you're not currently using. Be sure to drain them as well.
- Have a friend, family member or neighbor come over to check on your home while you're gone.
- If no one can check on your home, turn off the water at the main. Drain the pipes and leave cupboards under the sink open to allow heat in.
When Your Pipes Do Burst
If your pipes burst regardless of your efforts, contact a Leawood, KS, water restoration team. You may also need to call in a plumber to perform an extensive water pipe repair.